Shock treatment knocks out E. coli bug
Washington: Shock treatment can knock out E. coli bugs growing on the surface of heavily contaminated meat, reveals a study.
The technique offers a cheap and easy way to cut down food poisoning risk which can occur despite compliance with hygiene standards.
Researcher Ajit Mahapatra and colleagues at Fort Valley State University, in Georgia, and Virginia Tech have demonstrated that applying a low-voltage shock to beef samples swarming with lethal E. coli O157:H7 can almost completely deactivate the bug.
The team points out that the level of contamination used in their tests far exceeded in what was seen in commercial carcasses after slaughter, the International Journal of Food Safety, Nutrition and Public Health reported.
Food poisoning is a serious public-health issue, especially with the emergence of lethal and highly virulent strains of Escherichia coli (E. coli O157:H7, for example), according to a university statement.
The symptoms are diarrhoea, dehydration and kidney malfunctioning that can lead to serious long-term problems that can be fatal in children, the elderly and the people with pre-existing ailments or health issues.
Thousands of people are affected by E. coli infection each year through eating contaminated beef, meat and other food products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider