Shocking! Biting a chilli cost toddler her life

The two-year-old girl had accidentally taken a bite of the hot fruit, after which she was rushed to the hospital.

Updated: Mar 14, 2016, 16:55 PM IST
Image for representational purposes only

Zee Media Bureau

New Delhi: In a tragic event, a toddler died of respiratory failure after biting into a chilli pod.

As per reports, the two-year-old girl had accidentally taken a bite of the hot fruit, after which she was rushed to the hospital, but it was too late to save her from the damage despite medical intervention.

The autopsy report, conducted at AIIMS, revealed that the death was caused by gastric fluids entering the respiratory tract.

The incident happened in the national capital a few months ago and has now been published in the Medico-Legal Journal.

The report said that the baby vomited several times, which might have led to the fluids to enter the respiratory tract and block the wind pipe, making the baby choke.

“Aspiration of gastric contents resulting in death due to respiratory failure is not uncommon. However, this is the first such case involving the accidental bite of a chilli at our hospital. It is rarely reported in medical-legal literature,” Dr Chittaranjan Behera, the autopsy surgeon, was quoted as saying to a leading daily, TOI.

He added that in normal cases, the body protects against such mishaps through the act of coughing. But in the child's case, it is possible that the 'laryngeal cough reflex' was either poorly developed or inactive due to unconsciousness, leading to death.