Shocking images don`t deter smokers
Bonn, Germany: The shocking images of smokers` lungs and tumors on cigarette packs hardly have any effect on the majority of addicts, according to a new research.
28 younger persons who had been smoking for quite a number of years and an equal number of non-smokers participated in the study.
Each of the subjects was shown photos of happy, fearful and neutral faces while their brain activity was recorded. The researchers were particularly interested in the amygdala - a structure the shape and size of an almond.
"It is the brain`s fear center," said Dr Rene Hurlemann, from the Bonn University Clinic.
The amygdala was always active when the participants were shown fearful faces.
"Initially, there were no differences visible between smokers and non-smokers," reported Dr. Ozgur Onur, the study`s principal author and neurologist.
"So, the processing of emotions in the brain worked in a similar manner in both groups."
However, when the smokers came off a 12-hour abstinence period, the picture changed. "After only a few hours of abstinence, the activity of the fear center was far lower, as compared to the earlier state," said Onur.
"They simply were indifferent to images of fearful people."
"Apparently, they are mentally caught up in their addiction, resulting in a lowered receptivity for fear-inducing stimuli," said Onur.
"It seems that smokers need nicotine in order to maintain the normal function of their amygdala," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery