Shoot down hangovers with sleep, water
New York: The only real remedies to cure hangover are sleep and hydration, researchers say.
Alcohol is considered as a toxin by the body and its breakdown in the liver produces an even more poisonous compound called acetaldehyde.
“For the most part, most hangover cures are pretty bogus,” the New York Post quoted Dr. Paul Cesar, the director of headache medicine at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center as saying.
“When you keep drinking, you overwhelm the body’s ability to break down alcohol, creating a build-up of alcohol in the blood.”
“All that alcohol swimming around causes a lot of side effects.”
Alcohol is a diuretic, and dehydration irritates the stomach lining and causes headaches, as brain cells plainly shrink as the body’s organs desperately try to restore water.
And fatigue is caused by hours of deep sleep lost to a late-night bender.
According to Cesar, this is why sleep and water make the most sense.
“Basically, you just need to detoxify — and that takes time,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?