Should you freeze out frozen foods?
China`s manufacturing controls have caused alarm around the world – most recently when frozen foods and dairy products were pulled from shelves in Southern China because of melamine contamination.
Of course, you do not want to find any tainted foods in your kitchen but are frozen foods a sound option for living green and eating optimally?
If you are trying to decrease your oil footprint then you would want to stay clear from purchasing frozen foods (and chewing gum) according to Planet Green, a healthy living website, because the wax layer in frozen food packaging contains petroleum.
But BetterHealth Channel, an online health information site for consumers that is monitored by the Australian government, says "[t]he nutrient value of a food is retained when it is frozen. Any nutrient losses are due to the processing prior to freezing and the cooking once the frozen food is thawed."
Ideally it is best to purchase flash-frozen food products, as the integrity of the food is kept intact.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan