Simple eye test can detect mental disorders
Sydney: A simple eye test can help diagnose inherited mental health conditions such as bipolar disorder or manic depression, according to new evidence.
Monash University neuroscientist Steven Miller led a national team of researchers to test the binocular rivalry rates of 348 sets of twins -- 128 of whom were identical.
The test measured the twins` binocular rivalry -- the `switching` of their visual perception from one image to the next, when two dissimilar images were simultaneously presented, one to each eye.
Miller`s study of twins showed that switching rates were very similar between each set of identical twins, yet were substantially less so for non-identical twins, suggesting a genetic contribution to an individual`s switching rate.
"By studying such a large group of identical and non-identical twins we can determine the likelihood of genetics being responsible for certain biological traits," Miller said.
Miller said testing of binocular rivalry was important because it could be an indication of a person`s mental health, based on his previous study of switching rates in patients with bipolar disorder.
"A person without bipolar disorder will make the switch between images every one to two seconds. However, a person with bipolar disorder takes three to four seconds, and up to 10 seconds, to switch between the images," Miller said.
"These results highlight the link between our genetic make-up and the manifestation of certain medical illnesses like bipolar disorder."
The next stage of the research would test the reliability of using the switch rate to assist in the diagnosis of bipolar disorder or a predisposition to bipolar disorder, said a university release.
"There is a lot of work ahead to find biological markers that could be used to screen for a person`s susceptibility to a particular inherited condition, paving the way for more accurate clinical diagnoses and more effective genetic studies," Miller said.
The findings were published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in