Single dose of intranasal insulin can help improve cognitive function in diabetics
Washington: A new research has shown that a single dose of intranasal insulin can help improve cognitive function in patients with diabetes.
In recent years, the link between type 2 diabetes and dementia has become widely recognized. Older individuals with diabetes develop Alzheimer's disease at an earlier age, and are more likely to develop vascular dementia than people who do not have diabetes.
In the brain, insulin helps to regulate signalling and connections among neurons and also regulates vascular functions. Central insulin receptors are abundant and yet are mostly dependent upon insulin transport through the blood-brain barrier. Therefore, inadequate insulin delivery may affect perfusion and cortical activity in brain regions associated with high-energy demands, such as cognitive networks.
In this pilot study, the authors tested whether similar effects would be observed in patients with diabetes.
"We observed in both the healthy subjects and the patients with diabetes that there was an improvement in both verbal learning and visual-spatial learning and memory after they received the insulin," first author Vera Novak , MD, PhD, an investigator in the Department of Neurology at BIDMC said.
Through imaging tests, the investigators also learned that these improvements were dependent on the brain's vascular function.
Novak said that their findings provide preliminary evidence that intranasal insulin administration appears safe in older adults, and does not lead to low sugar levels.
Intranasal insulin may potentially improve learning and memory in older adults with and without diabetes, through vascular mechanisms.
The study is published in the journal Diabetes Care.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand