Sleep deprivation may make you look less trustworthy
Washington: Sleep deprivation affects facial features like eyes, mouth and skin, and these features function as signs of sleep loss to other people, according to a new study.
The results of the study show that the faces of sleep-deprived individuals were perceived as having more hanging eyelids, redder eyes, more swollen eyes and darker circles under the eyes.
Sleep deprivation also was associated with paler skin, more wrinkles or fine lines, and more droopy corners of the mouth. People also looked sadder when sleep-deprived than after normal sleep, and sadness was related to looking fatigued.
Lead author Tina Sundelin, MSc, lead author and doctoral student in the department of psychology at Stockholm University in Stockholm, Sweden, said that since faces contain a lot of information on which humans base their interactions with each other, how fatigued a person appears may affect how others behave toward them.
She said that this is relevant not only for private social interactions, but also official ones like with health care professionals and in public safety.
In the study - conducted at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden - Ten subjects were photographed on two separate occasions: after eight hours of normal sleep and after 31 hours of sleep deprivation.
The photographs were taken in the laboratory at 2:30 p.m. on both occasions. Forty participants rated the 20 facial photographs with respect to 10 facial cues, fatigue and sadness.
According to the authors, face perception involves a specialized neuronal network and is one of the most developed visual perceptual skills in humans.
Facial appearance can affect judgments of attributes such as trustworthiness, aggressiveness and competence.
The study has been published in scientific journal Sleep.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam