Sleep disturbances linked to poor quality of life in obese
Washington: A new research has showed that poor sleep quality is strongly associated with mood disturbance and lower quality of life among people with extreme obesity.
Results show that 74.8 percent of participants were poor sleepers, and their mean self-reported sleep duration was only six hours and 20 minutes.
Fifty-two percent of study subjects were anxious, and 43 percent were depressed. After controlling for age, sex, hypertension, diabetes, and obstructive sleep apnea, sleep quality and daytime sleepiness were significantly associated with mood disturbance and quality of life impairment.
"There was a clear association between the sleep problems such as short sleep duration and the psychological disorders and with quality of life," Dr. G. Neil Thomas, from the University of Birmingham in the United Kingdom, said. "These associations remained significant even after adjusting for a range of potential confounders."
According to the authors, the potential role of sleep in the health and well-being of individuals with severe obesity is underappreciated. The results suggested that the early detection of disturbed sleep could prevent the potential development and perpetuation of psychological problems among people with extreme obesity.
The study was published in the journal Sleep.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened