Sleepless nights can trigger euphoria
Washington: A sleepless night can not only make us cranky and moody but also trigger euphoria, potentially leading to poor judgment and addictive behaviour.
Researchers at the University of California and Harvard Medical School studied the brains of healthy young adults and found that their pleasure circuitry got a big boost after a missed night`s sleep.
But that same nerve cell pathway that stimulates feelings of euphoria, reward and motivation after a sleepless night may also lead to risky behaviour, their study suggests, according to a California university statement.
"We need to ensure that people making high-stakes decisions, from medical professionals to airline pilots to new parents, get enough sleep," said Matthew Walker, associate professor of psychology at California who led the study.
"Based on this evidence, I`d be concerned by an emergency room doctor who`s been up for 20 hours straight making rational decisions about my health," the Journal of Neuroscience quoted Walker as saying.
The body alternates between two main phases of sleep during the night -- Rapid Eye Movement (REM), when body and brain activity promote dreams, and Non-Rapid Eye Movement (NREM), when the muscles and brain rest.
Previous brain studies indicate that these sleep patterns are disrupted in people with mood disorders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why