Smokers at higher suicide risk: Study
Washington: Irrespective of whether they are suffering from psychiatric disorders or not, cigarette smokers are more likely to commit suicide than people who do not smoke, a study shows.
Researchers at Washington University's school of medicine in St Louis found that smoking itself may increase suicide risk and that policies to limit smoking reduce suicide rates.
"Suicide rates declined up to 15 percent in US states that implemented higher taxes on cigarettes and stricter policies to limit smoking in public places," said lead researcher Richard A Grucza, an associate professor of psychiatry from Washington University.
The results showed that each dollar increase in cigarette taxes was associated with a 10 percent decrease in suicide risk.
"Indoor smoking bans also were associated with risk reductions," Grucza added.
Using statistical methods, researchers compared rates of suicide in states with stricter tobacco policies to rates in states with more lenient laws and lower taxes.
They also determined whether people who had committed suicide were likely to have smoked.
They learned that suicide risk among people most likely to smoke was associated with policies related to tobacco taxes and smoking restrictions.
Grucza now wants e-cigarettes to come under scanner which deliver nicotine but release vapour rather than smoke.
Nicotine is a plausible candidate for explaining the link between smoking and suicide risk, Grucza said.
Like any other addictive drug, people start using nicotine to feel good, but eventually they need it to feel normal.
"And as with other drugs, its chronic use can contribute to depression or anxiety, and that could help to explain the link to suicide," he concluded in a paper published online in the journal Nicotine and Tobacco Research.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents