Smoking moms` kids prone to heart disease
New Delhi: Children whose mothers smoke during pregnancy have lower levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, known to protect against heart disease in later life.
By the age of eight, children born to mothers who smoked had HDL levels of about 1.3 millimoles per litre as against a more normal level of 1.5 millimoles per litre among children of non-smoking mothers.
This effect was independent of whether children were exposed to cigarette smoke after birth, suggesting prenatal exposure had the most impact on subsequent development, reports the European Heart Journal .
"Our results suggest maternal smoking `imprints` an unhealthy set of characteristics on children while they are developing in the womb, which may well predispose them to later heart attack and stroke," cardiology professor David Celermajer said.
"This imprinting seems to last for at least eight years and probably a lot longer," added Celermajer, who led the study at the University of Sydney.
Celermajer and colleagues examined the effects of maternal smoking during pregnancy on the thickness of the arterial wall and the levels of lipoproteins in 405 healthy eight-year-olds born between 1997 and 1999.
Ultrasound scans were used to measure arterial wall thickness and they took blood from 328 children to measure lipoprotein levels.
Researchers believe lower levels of HDL cholesterol at this age could lead to serious impact on health in later life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Coal India Limited's 66 coal mine projects facing delays
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony