Snake venom better pain-killer than morphine
London: Venom from the world’s deadliest snake – the black mamba, which can kill a person within half an hour, could actually be a painkiller at par with morphine, researchers say.
Anne Baron from the Institute of Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology in Valbonne, France, and her colleagues, hunted through hundreds of compounds for one that blocks acid-sensing ion channels in nerves.
These are key in a common pain pathway. The victorious compound turned out to be venom from the black mamba, New Scientist reported.
Baron’s team then identified the proteins in the venom that blocked the ion channels, before naming them mambalgins and purifying them to produce a drug.
Mice injected with the drug appeared to be significantly more resilient to pain as compared to those given a sham treatment.
The researchers found that the drug did not affect the opioid receptors that are targeted by morphine but was just as effective in relieving pain.
According to Baron, anyone taking the new drug might therefore avoid side effects associated with morphine, which include addiction and breathing problems.
The study has been published in Nature.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know