Snoring may help diagnose sleep disorder
London: Researchers have developed a computer programme, which can analyse the snoring pattern of people to help diagnose a specific sleep disorder.
Doctors at University of Queensland and the Princess Alexandra Hospital assessed the snoring of 20 patients with sleep apnoea by first recording it. Similarly, they observed another 66 potential patients.
It was found that the recordings diagnosed the condition successfully in 94 per cent of cases.
"An accurate device to diagnose sleep apnoea from recordings of snoring would be extremely helpful," the Telegraph quoted Dr Neil Stanley, a sleep expert as saying.
"Many patients are told about their snoring by their bed partner, but some can go years not even realising there is a problem, only that they are constantly exhausted. "This (method) seems to be very accurate for low level sleep apnoea.
"Such a device this could also mean that we are forced to revise upwards the number of people that we think have this condition. "At the moment the only thing many GPs think they know about this illness is that it affects fat, middle-aged men, which suggests many cases among people who do not fit that profile are not being picked up," the expert added.
Sleep apnoea can turn dangerous being linked to increased risk of high blood pressure and heart attack. The results of the study were presented at the Australasian Sleep Association Conference in Melbourne, Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why