Social protection key to prevention of HIV/AIDS: NACO
New Delhi: Social protection for families affected by HIV/AIDS is one of the key strategies to prevent the spread of the disease, the National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) said Tuesday.
The National AIDS Control Programme (NACP), under the leadership of department of AIDS control, recognizes the fact that reduction of vulnerability is key to the prevention, care, support and treatment of HIV/AIDS, Luv Verma, secretary, AIDS control department, said at a press conference here.
"So much so, the fourth phase of the National AIDS Control Programme (NACP) has social protection as one of its core strategies," he said.
Social protection refers to public interventions to assist individuals, households and communities to manage risk better and that provides support to the critically poor.
In order to facilitate exchange of thoughts and experiences, the department of AIDS control in collaboration with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) India, is hosting a two-day international conference on HIV sensitive social protection.
The conference will have representation from 14 different countries which will include participants from respective governments, civil society and communities of people living with HIV.
There would also be representation from various departments and ministries of the government, civil society, marginalized groups and experts.
Approximately 200 participants are expected to attend the two-day event here beginning Wednesday.
According to a 2006 study, average HIV household income is lower by 34 percent than non-HIV households.
Close to 40 percent of adults living with HIV in the country are women, of whom 43 percent live alone without any kind of assets and support systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre