Sodium levels high in children`s snacks: Scientists
Washington: Researchers have revealed that around 75 percent of snacks targeted at children have a high sodium content that could increase the possibility of long-term health risks, says a study.
Nearly 75 percent of commercial pre-packaged meals and savoury snacks for toddlers are high in sodium, according to research presented at the American Heart Association`s Epidemiology and Prevention/Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism 2013 Scientific Sessions.
In the first study to look at the sodium content in baby and toddler foods in the US, researchers compared the sodium content per serving of 1,115 products for babies and toddlers using data on major and private label brands compiled by the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Baby food was categorised as intended for children less than one year old, and toddler food was categorised as intended for children between the ages of one and three, reports Science Daily.
"Our concern is the possible long-term health risks of introducing high levels of sodium in a child`s diet because high blood pressure, as well as a preference for salty foods, may develop early in life. The less sodium in an infant`s or toddler`s diet, the less he or she may want it when older," said Joyce Maalouf, lead author and Fellow at the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia.
Consuming excessive amounts of sodium has been linked to the development of high blood pressure in scientific studies.
"Parents and other caregivers can read the nutrition facts labels on baby and toddler foods to choose the healthiest options for their child," Maalouf said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks