Soft drink could boost effects of anti-cancer drug
Washington: A popular lemon-lime soft drink could play an unexpected role in improving the effectiveness of an oral anticancer drug, experiments with an artificial stomach suggest.
The experiments produced evidence that patients will absorb more of the unnamed drug, tested in Phase I in clinical trials, when taken with "flat" or degassed Sprite.
Faraj Atassi and colleagues note that efforts are underway to develop more anticancer medications that patients can take by mouth.
However, biological variations among patients — due to variations in stomach acidity and other factors — can reduce the effectiveness of oral anticancer drugs.
Such was the case with the unnamed anticancer drug in the study, identified only as "Compound X."
There were wide differences in how the drug was absorbed in the first patients who took it.
The scientists combined Compound X with Captisol, a substance that helps improve the solubility of drug ingredients, and turned to the artificial stomach.
That glass-and-plastic device is used to study how drugs and foods dissolve through the GI tract.
They showed that Sprite seemed to control stomach acidity in a way likely to allow greater absorption of the drug into the body.
Based on the results, the scientists suggest that patients in future clinical trials take the drug with Sprite.
The study appears in ACS`` Molecular Pharmaceutics, a bi-monthly journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?