Soon, `artificial pancreas` to supply insulin to diabetics
Washington: Doctors have reported a major medical breakthrough in the development of `artificial pancreas,` a device, which will constantly monitor blood sugar in diabetics and also automatically supply insulin as needed.
A key part of such a system - an insulin pump that is programmed to shut down if blood-sugar level drops down dangerously while people are asleep - worked as it was intended in a three-month study of 247 patients suffering from Type 1 diabetes, Fox News reported.
The `smart pump` that has been developed by Minneapolis-based Medtronic Inc., is already being sold in Europe, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is reviewing it now.
Dr. Richard Bergenstal, diabetes chief at Park Nicollet, a large clinic in St. Louis Park, Minnesota, who led the company-sponsored study, said that this is the first step in the development of the artificial pancreas.
In the study, patients were given sensors, which continuously monitored their blood sugar.
50 percent of them were given ordinary insulin pumps and the others given pumps that were programmed to stop insulin supply for two hours when blood-sugar fell low.
Over 3 months, 33 percent people using the pump with the shut-off feature saw a reduction in low-sugar episodes.
The study has also been published online by the New England Journal of Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez