Soon, corneal transplants to be replaced
London: Those hundreds of patients, who suffer from cornea problems, can happily bid goodbye to transplants.
In a new treatment specialists are using microwave probe to heat the cornea to around 60 degree Celsius, a procedure that corrects rugby-ball eye - the abnormal shape caused by keratoconus, reports Sky News.
The temperature causes the front of the eye to shrink, restoring a normal spherical shape.
This is then ``locked-in`` with a burst of ultra-violet light, preventing further deterioration of the eye.
Imran Rahman, consultant ophthalmologist at the Manchester Face and Eye Clinic said many sufferers have such distorted eyeballs that they are unable to use normal contact lenses or spectacles to correct their vision.
But he said that the new keraflex procedure is highly effective: "The difference in the visual acuity can be remarkable.”
"We hope patients have really good unaided vision, something they have not had for many years,” he added.
But The Royal College of Ophthalmologists said more trials are needed to confirm the benefits of the procedure.
President Professor Harminda Dua said: "It is promising but we want to see more research to show it is safe and effective in the long term."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details