Soon, drugs that may help humans `live until 150`
London: Drugs that could help people to live to 150 by slowing the ageing process may soon be available on drugstores.
The drugs are synthetic versions of resveratrol, an organic chemical found in red wine and believed to have an anti-ageing effect by boosting activity of a protein called SIRT1.
Resveratrol is found in the skin of red grapes.
Pharmaceutical firm GSK is now testing the drugs on patients with Type II diabetes and psoriasis, a serious skin condition, the Telegraph reported.
David Sinclair, professor of genetics at Harvard University, said ageing might not actually be an "irreversible affliction".
He explained that increasing SIRT1 activity improved how well our cells operated, making them less sluggish.
Previous experiments have shown that mice, bees and flies given the SIRT1-boosting compounds lived longer.
Writing in the journal Science, Prof Sinclair has claimed that they have performed experiments that showed these resveratrol-based compounds were having a direct effect on health.
Moreover, there have already been promising results in some trials with implications for cancer, cardiovascular disease and heart failure, Type II diabetes, Alzheimer`s, Parkinson`s, fatty liver disease, cataracts, osteoporosis, muscle wasting, sleep disorders and inflammatory diseases such as psoriasis, arthritis and colitis.
Though current trials look at how the compounds might help treat this age-related disease, Prof Sinclair believed that in time they would also be examined for their preventative effect.
He believes that just as statins are used today to prevent heart disease and strokes, so these compounds could be used to slow a wide-range of diseases.
Prof Sinclair is a consultant and inventor on patents licensed to Sirtris, the GSK company running the trials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack