Source of happiness may lie in your gut
Dublin: Brain levels of serotonin, the `happiness hormone` linked to normal functioning of adult brain, are regulated by the amount of bugs in your gut during early life, says a new study.
Serotonin, the major chemical involved in the regulation of mood and emotion, is altered in times of stress, anxiety and depression, and most clinically effective antidepressant drugs work by targeting this neurochemical.
Scientists at the Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre at the University College Cork, Ireland, used a germ-free mouse model to show that the absence of bugs during early life significantly affected serotonin concentrations in the brain in adulthood, the journal Molecular Psychiatry reports.
The research also highlighted that the influence is sex dependent, with more marked effects in male compared with female rodents, according to a University College statement.
When the scientists colonised the rodents with bacteria prior to adulthood, they found that many of the central nervous system changes, especially those related to serotonin, could not be reversed - indicating a permanent imprinting of the effects of absence of gut flora on brain function.
"As a neuroscientist, I find these findings fascinating as they highlight the important role that gut bacteria play in the bi-directional communication between the gut and the brain, and opens up the intriguing opportunity of developing unique microbial-based strategies for treatment for brain disorders," said John F. Cryan, professor of neuroscience and senior study author at Cork.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof