South India`s first IVF baby in Kerala hospital
Zee Media Bureau
Thiruvananthapuram: State-owned S.A.T. Hospital has become the first government sector hospital in South India to have test tube babies. With this, it has created a record of sorts.
The couple being Neyyattinkara residents, Nikhila and Suresh were blessed with twins .The babies, a boy and a girl, weigh two kg each. The babies are doing well and out of ICU support.
In vitro fertilisation (IVF) is a process by which an egg is fertilised by sperm outside the body. In vitro fertilization is the most common and most effective type of assisted reproductive technology (ART) to help women become pregnant. The procedure involves fertilizing an egg outside the body, in a laboratory dish, and then implanting it in a woman's uterus.
The IVF procedure was carried out by Sheela Balakrishnan, head of the fertility clinic .
"We thus became the fifth government hospital in the country and the first one in south India to be successful. We are expecting another test tube baby next week and then there are five more in various stages," said Balakrishnan.
Balakrishnan further added that since this form of medical procedure is an expensive one, "we operate on a no-profit no-loss basis and the entire cost for couples comes to around Rs.1 lakh", whereas in the private sector the expense can amount upto Rs.10 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day