South India`s first IVF baby in Kerala hospital
Zee Media Bureau
Thiruvananthapuram: State-owned S.A.T. Hospital has become the first government sector hospital in South India to have test tube babies. With this, it has created a record of sorts.
The couple being Neyyattinkara residents, Nikhila and Suresh were blessed with twins .The babies, a boy and a girl, weigh two kg each. The babies are doing well and out of ICU support.
In vitro fertilisation (IVF) is a process by which an egg is fertilised by sperm outside the body. In vitro fertilization is the most common and most effective type of assisted reproductive technology (ART) to help women become pregnant. The procedure involves fertilizing an egg outside the body, in a laboratory dish, and then implanting it in a woman's uterus.
The IVF procedure was carried out by Sheela Balakrishnan, head of the fertility clinic .
"We thus became the fifth government hospital in the country and the first one in south India to be successful. We are expecting another test tube baby next week and then there are five more in various stages," said Balakrishnan.
Balakrishnan further added that since this form of medical procedure is an expensive one, "we operate on a no-profit no-loss basis and the entire cost for couples comes to around Rs.1 lakh", whereas in the private sector the expense can amount upto Rs.10 lakh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know