Soyabean could boost bone health: Study
Washington: Scientists are exploring the role of natural estrogen-like substances in foods, like soybean isoflavones, in boosting bone health.
Agricultural Research Service (ARS) physiologist Marta D Van Loan and other researchers at the University of California-Davis said that soy has been studied for a long time due to some of its properties.
Soybean has potential to substitute conventional steroid hormone replacement therapy for postmenopausal women.
The study showed that overall the isoflavones had no significant positive effect on preventing bone loss.
But the 120-mg treatment showed a modest benefit when evaluated in conjunction with lifestyle factors.
The researchers suggest that the body`s response to isoflavones extracted from soy proteins may be different from responses to isoflavones in their natural matrix of soy protein or soy foods, or in a soy-protein supplement.
Or, some soy-protein compound other than the extracted isoflavones may have been responsible for the bone-protecting effects seen in some previous studies.
Finally, the isoflavone doses used in the 2010 study may not have been high enough to produce a bone-sparing effect.
The study is published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena