Spotting placentas may prevent babies from dying in womb
London: It may soon be possible to stop babies dying in the womb, thanks to a measurement to spot small placentas that can act as an early warning system.
This breakthrough results from the efforts made by Yale University researchers in developing an equation to work out the volume of the placenta with a high degree of accuracy.
Writing about their work in the American Journal of Perinatology, the researchers have expressed the hope that their measurement could spot problems with the organ, which nourishes the growing foetus.
Very small placentas have been associated with foetal death, although many healthy babies are born of below-average size placentas and, conversely, sickly infants from larger ones.
Harvey Kliman, from Yale`s department of obstetrics, revealed that he got inspired to develop an accurate means of measuring the organ after he learnt that it was difficult to gauge on ultrasound screens.
The researcher revealed that the sum involves estimates of the maximum width, height and thickness of the placenta to produce the Estimated Placenta Volume (EPV), and is reported to predict its actual volume by up to 89 percent.
"The method works best during the second and early third trimesters," the BBC quoted Dr Kliman as saying.
"I hope that the EPV test becomes routine for pregnant women," Dr Kliman added.
The researchers believe that their work may help monitor pregnancies more carefully.
Patrick O`Brien, of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, suggested that the proposition had potential, saying: "It would be most useful if the calculation could be made earlier on in the pregnancy - later on we have a good idea of the health of the baby just by looking at it. I would like to see this as a study carried out on a large group of women to see if it does flag up problems at the outset. It certainly looks interesting."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read