Statin could be the new wonder drug
London: Heart pills are more effective at slashing artery-clogging cholesterol and reducing the risk of heart attacks as previously thought, say scientists.
According to new research, even those who already have low levels of cholesterol can benefit from taking statins, reports the Daily Express.
The cholesterol-busting pills could give such people a 15 per cent further reduction in heart attacks and strokes and risk of having to undergo gruelling heart surgery.
A major study has found that they really are a wonder drug and that taking them in higher doses not only leads to even lower levels of ``bad`` cholesterol but also to still greater reductions in the number of heart attacks and strokes.
Experts said that people with low levels of cholesterol could also benefit from them.
However, there has been evidence of severe side effects from higher doses, ranging from muscle aches and stomach upsets to a rare but serious lung disorder, cataracts, liver damage and kidney failure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'