Staying active throughout the day `more beneficial for pregnant women`
Washington: A new research has claimed that staying active throughout the day is more beneficial to limit excess weight gain for pregnant women.
Christina Campbell, an associate professor of food science and human nutrition at Iowa State University , said that they able to show that pregnant women spend 75 percent of the time they are awake in sedentary behaviors.
She said that many of these women met physical activity guidelines. But just because a women met the guidelines, doesn`t necessarily mean that they were a non-sedentary person.
Getting women to be more active during pregnancy is not only important for limiting weight gain, but it also impacts the future health of the baby.
Campbell said that if a woman gains too much, it predisposes the baby to childhood obesity and also raises the risk for maternal complications like hypertension, pre-eclampsia and postpartum obesity.
That is why it is important to help women manage their weight through diet and exercise.
Campbell said that the problem is most intervention programs are centred on physical activity guidelines of 30 minutes of exercise a day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond
- Narendra Modi government failed to create jobs, aid agriculture: Congress
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond says Judi Dench