Staying fat may be better for your health
London: The idea that weight is harmful has been "exaggerated" and fat people may actually live longer, suggests a new study by US scientists.
The University of California study, based on analysis of 350,000 people in the US, suggests that the obese put their health in greater danger when they obsessively try to slim down.
The researchers claim that society`s obsession with dieting is "ineffective" and often leads to people becoming fatter as they crave food and go on a binge.
It recommends people should eat a varied and balanced diet, and take "enjoyable" amounts of exercise, even if they still end up carrying a few extra pounds, the Daily Mail reported, citing the Nutrition Journal.
Researcher Linda Bacon said that although health professionals mean well when they suggest people lose weight, "our analysis indicates that researchers have long interpreted research data through a biased lens".
The study claims there is evidence to show that overweight people live longer than normal. Those who are obese in old age also tend to live longer than elderly people who are thin.
They are also more likely to survive certain health conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease and kidney failure.
Although it is well-known that obesity puts people at higher risk of heart disease and other illnesses, the researchers say that "being fat" is not the cause.
Instead, they blame poor diet and lack of exercise - which almost always come with obesity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared