Stem cell hope for elderly patients?
London: Coming soon: A regenerative treatment for the elderly, all thanks to scientists who`ve achieved what they claim is a "stem cell breakthrough".
A team at the University of Montpellier says that it was able to successfully transform cells from patients as old as 100 into stem cells virtually identical to those found in embryos.
If these can be used to grow healthy tissue which can safely be transplanted into elderly patients it could open up new avenues of treatment for the elderly, say the scientists.
"This is a new paradigm for cell rejuvenation... the age of cells is definitely not a barrier to reprogramming," `The Daily Telegraph` quoted Jean-Marc Lematre, who led the study, as saying.
Embryonic stem cells can grow into any type of tissue in the body, and scientists hope they could one day be used to replace diseased organs with healthy, lab-grown replacements.
But their use in medicine is controversial as it involves the destruction of human embryos, albeit at a very early stage.
As an alternative, a method of taking normal cells from adults and reversing them to an unspecialised state, known as induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS) can be used, making them almost indistinguishable from embryonic stem cells.
But many experts are divided over whether the technique can work efficiently in elderly patients, who have the most to gain from the potential treatments, because their cells have
By adding two new ingredients, known as transcription factors, to the method of generating adult stem cells, the team was able to overcome this hurdle and "reset" many of the key markers of ageing in cells.
There is a long way to go before the "proof of concept" could be translated into treatments, the team said.
Experts have welcomed the findings published in the `Genes & Development` journal.
Mick Bhatia, director of the Stem Cell and Cancer Research Institute at McMaster University in Canada, said: "I think it is certainly interesting that they are saying some of
these age markers reversed and the age programming has made the cells youthful."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in