Stem cell jab could help cure heart disease
London: For the first time, scientists have successfully tested a revolutionary new treatment in heart patients, paving way for a stem cell jab to treat heart diseases.
The heart failure breakthrough involves injecting patients with their own stem cells.
In a quick and easy procedure, doctors take bone marrow from the patients` hips before injecting them directly into the heart to strengthen the muscle, the `Daily Express` reported.
With the new ground-breaking treatment at the Mayo Clinic`s Centre for Regenerative Medicine in Rochester, Minnesota, heart pumping function improved within six months for every patient.
The patients also enjoyed improved fitness and could walk longer distances, researchers said.
"I think it`s an exciting time where regenerative medicine is no longer science fiction. This study is providing clinical evidence for a new approach in cardiovascular regenerative medicine," Dr Andre Terzic, lead researcher of the study, said.
During the trial, 45 heart failure patients were treated with a special type of stem cell harvested from the top of the patient`s hip.
Researchers used proteins to instruct the stem cells to behave like heart cells and then injected them into the patient`s heart.
All the patients saw greater improvement in their heart health than another group given the standard treatments for heart failure. The amount of blood pumped out with each heartbeat increased by a dramatic seven per cent.
The study was published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town