Stem cell trials offers hope for polio afflicted
New Delhi: A maiden attempt by doctors at AIIMS here to use stem cells for treatment of paralysed polio patients has shown "encouraging" results.
"We have recently undertaken a trial where we have used stem cells in polio patients to see if they can be relieved of their paralytic state. Results have been encouraging as one of the polio patient has shown good limb movement," Dr DK Gupta, head of the department of paediatric surgery, AIIMS said.
Started three months back, method has been tried only on a handful of patients.
"This is just the beginning. This trial will be carried out for the next three years and we will try approach on many more patients before we can draw any conclusion. But if the initial results which are so positive and encouraging can be replicated in the rest of the cases then it could be a ray of hope for polio patients as there is no cure for polio
yet," he said.
Dr Shilpa Sharma, assistant professor with the department of paediatric surgery at RML hospital said, "Since polio is a disease of the nerve, we thought of treating it with stem cells. These stem cells are taken from the patient`s own bone marrow."
This trial was attempted after getting permission from the ethics committee and the ministry of science and technology.
"We have started the trial with children. This patient, who has shown positive results in a short span of time is now able to move her limbs. We are hopeful to get the same results for the other patients we will attempt in near future," she said.
According to WHO, polio is endemic in parts of only four countries: India, Pakistan, Nigeria and Afghanistan. West Bengal, Bihar and Uttar Pradesh are polio-endemic states in India. The disease mainly affects children before the age of five and can cause total irreversible paralysis - usually in the legs.
The last case recorded in the country was on April 29 from Murshidabad district of West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery