Students to promote self ban on tobacco use
Guwahati: Students of Gauhati University and premier Cotton College here have collaborated to promote self ban on use of tobacco products and stop their sale within and near educational institutions.
Teams of students will go to different institutions to educate the students there on imposing self ban on consumption and sale of tobacco products, students in the two institutions said.
The ban will be made effective within the educational institutions campus and outside in the shops within 200 metre radius, they said.
The students have come together to take the lead alleging that the government had failed to ban Gutkha or the selling of such products in and near educational institutions in the state.
Tobacco products were sold next to premises of schools, colleges and universities in Guwahati and sometimes even inside campuses also, they asserted.
Pointing out that the responsibility of the government did not end in putting up a hoarding that sale of tobacco products within the premises of the institution is banned, the students regretted that no constructive step had been taken so far for stopping sale of such products.
Menawhile, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has been designated as the Brand Ambassador for the `Campaign for Tobacco Free North East` being organised by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Assam government to increase awareness about the menaces of tobacco consumption and its health impacts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened