Students to promote self ban on tobacco use
Guwahati: Students of Gauhati University and premier Cotton College here have collaborated to promote self ban on use of tobacco products and stop their sale within and near educational institutions.
Teams of students will go to different institutions to educate the students there on imposing self ban on consumption and sale of tobacco products, students in the two institutions said.
The ban will be made effective within the educational institutions campus and outside in the shops within 200 metre radius, they said.
The students have come together to take the lead alleging that the government had failed to ban Gutkha or the selling of such products in and near educational institutions in the state.
Tobacco products were sold next to premises of schools, colleges and universities in Guwahati and sometimes even inside campuses also, they asserted.
Pointing out that the responsibility of the government did not end in putting up a hoarding that sale of tobacco products within the premises of the institution is banned, the students regretted that no constructive step had been taken so far for stopping sale of such products.
Menawhile, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has been designated as the Brand Ambassador for the `Campaign for Tobacco Free North East` being organised by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Assam government to increase awareness about the menaces of tobacco consumption and its health impacts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof