Sugar has more devastating effects
Sugar is far more dangerous for our health than it was previously believed—not only does it rots our teeth and adds padding to our thighs, it can devastatingly alter our metabolism.
And the culprit is fructose—a main ingredient in table sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and fruit— that actually gets into our cells and alters metabolism.
The new findings may help to explain how excessive consumption of sweetened foods is contributing to growing rates of obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and more -- in a way that has nothing to do with sugar`s rich source of empty calories.
In fact, researchers have said that there may be deep evolutionary roots that explain sugar`s power over our bodies.
Many millions of years ago our ape ancestors developed mutations that made it easy for them to get fat from eating fructose, according to new research.
At the time, the mutation was a good thing. It allowed our ancestors to survive seasonal periods of famine when the fruit trees went bare.
Today, the mutation makes a year-round, fructose-filled diet dangerous to our health, said Richard Johnson, chief of the division of Renal Diseases and Hypertension at the University of Colorado, Denver, and author of `The Sugar Fix: The High-Fructose Fallout That Is Making You Fat and Sick.`
Both sugar and high-fructose corn syrup are equally bad because both contain about the same amount of fructose, he said.
"This mutation that occurred 15 million years ago could explain why we`re fat today. It doesn`t mean we all become obese. It doesn`t mean everyone is going to get diabetes. It does mean that all of us are more susceptible to being fat than most other mammals," Discovery News quoted Johnson as saying.
In the new study, the researchers identify just such a mutation that affects how our bodies deal with uric acid, an ordinary byproduct of metabolism.
The mutation evolved 15 million years ago, during a period of starvation and is present on all of us.
Johnson said that the mutation led to an increase in how much uric acid our bodies produce after eating fructose, while also lengthening the amount of time that uric acid sticks around after a sweet treat.
The result is inflammation and an increased ability for cells to become fat. In other words, uric acid works within cells to amplify sugar`s ability to cause obesity, he said.
Even on a calorie-restricted diet, animals that eat too much sugar develop insulin resistance, an early sign of diabetes, he said.
Other trials in people have shown that lowering uric acid levels lowered their blood pressure.
And like alcohol, the recent study found, sugar is also habit-forming and possibly addictive.
The study was published in the journal Transactions of the American Clinical and Climatological Association.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark