Sunscreens that can catch fire recalled
Washington: It’s a bad news for the maker of Banana Boat sunscreens. After the reports that many people have caught fire after using the product, half a million of bottles of the spray-on lotion have been recalled.
Energizer Holdings Inc., based in St. Louis was quoted saying to a news agency that it is pulling 23 varieties of Ultra Mist sunscreen off store shelves due to the risk of the lotion igniting when exposed to fire.
The company has recalled its aerosol products like UltraMist Sport, UltraMist Ultra Defense and UltraMist Kids.
According to a company spokesman there have been five reports of people suffering burns after using the sunscreen in the last year. US reported 4 burn cases and Canada has reported one.
More than 20 million units have been sold since UltraMist was launched in 2010, the spokesman said.
The problem appears to be caused by UltraMist`s spray valve, which is over applying the product, Energizer said in a statement. As a result the lotion is taking longer to dry, which raises the flammability risk.
"If a consumer comes into contact with a flame or spark prior to complete drying of the product on the skin, there is a potential for the product to ignite," the company said.
UltraMist`s label warns users: "Keep away from sources of ignition -no smoking."But dermatologists say most people don`t read such labels.
Dr. Michele Green, a dermatologist at New York`s Lenox Hill Hospital was quoted saying to a news agency that "So many people put this on outside, while they`re on their way to activities, so I just don`t think people are aware of that”.
Green added that aerosol sunscreens have become popular in recent years because they`re faster and easier to apply than traditional creams.
Doctors and burn experts said Friday the problem appears to be extremely rare.
Energizer Holdings said it has notified the Food and Drug Administration about the recall, which it undertook voluntarily.
Consumers who have already purchased the products are being told not to use them. More information is available from the manufacturer at 1-800-SAFESUN.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account