Surgeons remove five metre rod from man`s face
Kochi: A five metre long iron rod, which had pierced the face of a 50-year-old man in a freak accident at an under construction building here, was removed by surgeons at a private hospital.
The rod had penetrated almost five inches into his body and was only one centimetre away from the spinal cord, sources at KIMS hospital said.
The patient would have gone into coma or turned paralytic if the rod had touched the spinal cord, they said.
The incident occurred on May 16 when a branch, which was being cut, fell on a pile of rods at ground floor. Under the impact, a rod flew up piercing the left cheek of the man standing on the second floor, they said.
A one-hour surgery was done on the patient by a team of neuro, orthopaedic and general surgeons to remove the rod.
The man is recovering, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security