Sweat ‘doesn’t cleanse body’
Washington: Hot springs, sweat lodges, and pricey spas around the world are becoming increasingly popular as they offer "sweat wraps" and other techniques claimed to detoxify and purify the body. However, experts have challenged the idea that human body can sweat out toxins.
According to Live Science, sweating is the body`s method of regulating its temperature.
Because humans are warm-blooded, our bodies need a way to control excess heat.
When the body gets too hot, it releases water via sweat glands, which in turn cools the skin and body through evaporation.
Experts say that organs such as the liver help the body collect and get rid of toxins, and sweat glands do not.
As the sweat is mostly water with some dissolved minerals and urea, the belief that sweat glands expel toxics is false.
Sweating will make people cooler but won`t cleanse or purify the body. Human physiology simply does not work that way.
Moreover trying to sweat out toxics can do more harm than good and can even kill you.
For instance, James Arthur Ray, a New Age motivational speaker has been charged for manslaughter, which happened due to his actions during an Oct. 8, 2009 sweat lodge ceremony.
He told participants — who paid over 9,000 dollars to attend — that it would be an intense, transformational experience.
While for some, it was life-changing; for some it was life-ending. Three people died in the sweat lodge, 18 were hospitalized, and more were sickened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe