Sweat glands help heal wounds
Washington: Don`t be too surprised if the glands that make you sweat could also help heal skin wounds, such as scrapes, burns and ulcers, says a new study.
Human skin is rich with millions of sweat glands that help the body cool down after a trip to the gym or on a warm day. They also play a key role in providing cells for recovering skin wounds, according to a University of Michigan Health System research.
"Skin ulcers - including those caused by diabetes or bed sores - and other non-healing wounds remain a tremendous burden on health services and communities around the world," said ILaure Rittie, research assistant professor of dermatology at Michigan Medical School, who led the study.
"Treating chronic wounds costs tens of billions of dollars annually in the US alone, and this price tag just keeps rising. Something isn`t working," Rittie was quoted as saying in the American Journal of Pathology.
Now, Michigan researchers believe they have discovered one of the body`s most powerful secret weapons in healing.
"By identifying a key process of wound closure, we can examine drug therapies with a new target in mind: sweat glands, which are very under-studied," Rittie said, according to a Michigan statement.
Previous understanding of wound closure was that new skin cells originate from hair follicles and from intact skin at the edge of the wound.
The Michigan findings demonstrate that cells arise from beneath the wound, and suggest that human sweat glands also store an important reservoir of adult stem cells that can quickly be recruited to aid wound healing.
"It may be surprising that it`s taken until now to discover the sweat glands` vital role in wound repair. But there`s a good reason why these specific glands are under-studied - sweat glands are unique to humans and absent in the body skin of laboratory animals that are commonly used for wound healing research," added Rittie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror