Swine fever outbreak in West Sikkim
Gangtok: With three blood samples having tested positive at Regional Disease Diagnostic Laboratory (RDDL) authorities today confirmed swine fever outbreak as the cause of high mortality among pigs in Rinchenpong, West Sikkim.
Joint Director, Animal Husbandry department [West], Dr D S Tewari said in a statement that results of three blood samples sent to RDDL, Khanapara, Assam, confirmed that it is swine fever and the department embarked on a vaccination drive in Rinchenpong constituency.
In the first phase, villages in the constituency have been identified and divided into different segments for the purpose of vaccination.
The Upper Hathi Dhunga, Zeel and Lower Hathi Dhunga/12 Mile have been categorised as the `Infected Zone` while Lower and Upper Sangadorjee and Lower Zeel and Tapel have been identified as `Hazardous Zone`.
Lower Takuthang, Bompool Reshi Bazaar and Chunbhatti fall under areas, beyond 100 meters of focal area of infection, where vaccination in going on.
Initially the sick animal shows symptoms of hyperthermia followed by lachrymal discharge, staggering gaits, diarrohea finally leading to death.
Besides, the department`s para-veterinarian has also covered nearly 200 pig spots where disinfection and fumigation was conducted.
The District Collector, West has directed BDO, B A C Kaluk to impose temporary ban on the sale of piglets/pigs in all the nearby markets, the statement said.
A team of veterinarian from the headquarters will also be visiting the infected area on June 24, the statement said urging vets at Melli, Rangpo, Rambang and Reshi check posts along the West Bengal border to ensure prohibit entry of piglets for at least two more months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’