Swine flu vaccination in India likely from Feb 19
New Delhi: After months of wait, India is likely to start swine flu vaccination from Feb 19 and tens of thousands of medical practitioners will get the first doses of the imported vaccine to distribute among the people.
The country has received 1.5 million doses of vaccine from multinational pharma firm Sanofi Pasteur in two installments - 500,000 doses Wednesday and one million doses Thursday - a senior health ministry official told.
"The vaccines have arrived and Sanofi`s bridge study in the country is getting over by Feb 10. We will take one more week to analyse them. The vaccine will be released for use after that. Most probably vaccination will start from Feb 19," the official said requesting anonymity.
India has lost 1,260 people to the pandemic virus since India reported its first swine flu death in August last year. So far, swine flu has infected over 29,000 people.
"Doctors and para medics will get the vaccination first," the official told.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India