Swine flu vaccine may be available in India this year
Washington: The swine flu vaccine could become available for use in india this year with an American firm collaborating with an Indian biopharmaceutical company to facilitate the manufacture, clinical development and commercialisation of the vaccine in India.
VaxInnate Corporation, based in Cranbury, New Jersey, Tuesday announced that it has granted Indian biopharmaceutical company Biological E. Limited a license to its recombinant H1N1 pandemic swine flu vaccine.
Under the terms of the agreement, the vaccine will enter clinical development in India early this year and could become available for emergency use in India after completion of clinical trials.
As with all new vaccines, the Indian government must approve the vaccine based upon clinical evaluation before it can be used. Financial terms of the agreement include initial fees, milestone payments and royalties on sales.
Biological E. should be capable of manufacturing sufficient H1N1 vaccine in several months to address the needs of India`s 1.2 billion population in a public health emergency, the announcement said.
The agreement also permits Biological E. to sell excess vaccine to other South Asian countries, including Bangladesh, Bhutan, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. South Asia is home to one-fifth of the world`s population.
"Biological E. looks forward to working closely with VaxInnate to rapidly develop and manufacture this innovative vaccine in India," said Vijay Kumar Datla, chairman and managing director of BE.
"As a leading vaccine provider, we hope to play a key role in protecting Indians and other South Asians from pandemic H1N1 flu."
"VaxInnate is pleased to partner with Biological E. to meet the H1N1 vaccine needs of India and to demonstrate the speed and volume capabilities of our proprietary vaccine technology," said Alan Shaw, president and CEO of VaxInnate.
"We will continue to pursue domestic and other international partnerships for development of this and other vaccines to meet global needs."
VaxInnate`s proprietary technology - based upon a combination of toll-like receptor-mediated (TLR) immune enhancement and recombinant bacterial production of vaccine antigen - conveys significant speed and volume advantages, making it capable of producing hundreds of millions of vaccine doses in weeks instead of months.
Meanwhile, VaxInnate plans to pursue clinical development and licensure of pandemic and seasonal flu vaccines in the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday