Synthetic bone to help dental implants
Melbourne: Australian researchers are developing artificial bone to help replace missing teeth, a method which could reduce the pain involved in dental implant procedure.
The four-year study, which has been granted a National Health and Medical Research Council Grant of over 66,000 dollar, is being undertaken by doctorate candidate and periodontist Jamil Alayan from Griffith University`s School of Dentistry and Oral Health.
Alayan along with a team are using the latest tissue engineering technology to produce totally synthetic bone "scaffolds" that can be grafted into the patient`s jawbone.
These will then provide a viable foundation within which to place titanium dental implants.
"Traditionally, people with missing teeth who have lost a lot of jawbone due to disease or trauma, would need to have these replaced with dental implants using their own bone. This bone is usually derived from their jaw, but occasionally it has to be derived from their hip or skull," Alayan said in a university statement.
"These procedures are often associated with significant pain, nerve damage and post-operative swelling, as well as extended time off work for the patient," Alayan said.
"By using artificial bone, we can instigate a much less invasive method of bone and tooth replacement. A big benefit for the patient is that the risks of complications using this method will be significantly lower because bone doesn’t need to be removed from elsewhere in the body. We also won`t have the problem of limited supply that we have when using the patient`s own bone," he added.
Currently in pre-clinical trials, Alayan said the aim is to trial the new technology on humans within the next two to three years.
Regarding the anticipated cost of treatment, he said that this should be a less costly way of augmenting deficient jaw bone, with the saving expected to be passed onto the patient.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!