Tamil Nadu bans pan masala, gutka
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government today banned production, possession, distribution and sale of tobacco products such as pan masala and gutka in the state.
Some states, including Kerala and Andhra Pradesh, have already banned sale of pan masala and gutka.
Making a suo motu statement in the Assembly, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa referred to Supreme Court`s remarks in a case pending before it, seeking to know the action taken by state governments in controlling usage of tobacco and announced the government`s decision.
She also referred to her government`s notification on November 19, 2011, to ban the use of tobacco under the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954, for five years, on which the Supreme Court ruled that the Centre alone had the powers to issue such notifications.
Jayalalithaa said her government had constituted a separate department `Tamil Nadu Food Safety and Medical Administration,` after the Centre announced the Food Safety and Standards Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?