Taxes on cigarettes linked to lower alcohol consumption
Washington: Increase in cigarette taxes has been linked with modest to moderate reductions in alcohol consumption among vulnerable groups, a new research has found.
Vulnerable groups include hazardous drinkers, young adult smokers, and smokers in the lowest income category.
Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable death and disability in the US, while heavy drinking ranks as the third leading cause of preventable death.
Cigarette taxation has been recognized as one of the most significant policy instruments to reduce smoking.
Given that smoking and drinking often occur together, a first-of-its-kind study has examined cigarette taxation and found that increases are associated with modest to moderate reductions in alcohol consumption among vulnerable groups.
"Smoking and heavy drinking co-occur at alarmingly high rates," Sherry McKee, associate professor of psychiatry at Yale University School of Medicine as well as corresponding author for the study, said.
"Tobacco can enhance the subjective effects of alcohol and has been shown to increase the risk for heavy and problematic drinking. Smokers drink more frequently and more heavily than non-smokers, and are substantially more likely than non- smokers to meet criteria for alcohol abuse or dependence.
"The co-occurrence of smoking and drinking is of particular clinical significance given evidence that health consequences exponentially increase with combined versus singular abuse of alcohol and tobacco," she said.
The findings are set to be published in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued