Tea no protection against breast cancer
It may be packed with anti-oxidants but green tea does not protect against breast cancer, a study has revealed.
Previous research on both animals and human cells had suggested the hot drink could boost the body`s defences against the cancer. However, the latest analysis looking at 54,000 women found no association between drinking green tea and breast cancer risk, reports Daily Mail .
Motoki Iwasaki at the National Cancer Center, Tokyo, worked with a team of researchers to carry out the study.
"Results from human studies have been inconclusive. Our large-scale, population-based prospective cohort study is one of the first to include a wide range of tea intakes -- women who drank green tea less than one cup per week to those who drank 10 or more cups per day," he said.
"It found no overall association between green tea intake and the risk of breast cancer," he added.
The study assessed tea intake by a questionnaire, once at the beginning of the study and then again five years later.
Cancer incidence was assessed by notification from major local hospitals in the study area and population-based cancer registries.
Approximately 12 per cent of women drank green tea less than one cup per week while 27 per cent drank five or more cups per day.
Speaking about the survey, Iwasaki said: "The other major strength of the present study was its prospective design, in which information was collected before the subsequent diagnosis of breast cancer, thereby avoiding the exposure recall bias inherent to case-control studies."
"Drinking green tea as a beverage is unlikely to reduce the risk of breast cancer regardless of green tea type and number of cups," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez