Telomeres, the new test for aging
Madrid: The passing of time, that tombstone upon which beauty and health are balanced, can be slowed down by a close control of the telomeres, DNA structures at the ends of the chromosomes, says an expert.
"The shortening of the telomeres has an influence of around 30 percent on an individual's aging process," said Angel Durantez, who specialises in this new medical technique that treats aging in a holistic and scientific way, re-establishing metabolic and endocrine balance in order to ward off age-related illnesses.
Telomeres are the most sensitive bio indicators of an individual's aging process.
"It's not an aesthetic nor a cosmetic medicine, but it does have a direct effect on beauty. We're talking about a treatment from the inside out," the sports medicine specialist said.
The shortening and reduction of telomeres exposes cells to mutations, and as a result, to the appearance of illnesses.
The measurement of telomeres, without diagnosing any illness, shows "how the cells are doing and their relationship with an individual's biological age".
Stress has a determining effect on health and decisively influences the shortening of the telomeres, as do the lack of exercise and an inadequate lifestyle. "How life treats you depends on how you treat life," Durantez said.
Nonetheless, with adequate diagnosis and treatment, "the telomeres can be lengthened," the specialist said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'