Telomeres, the new test for aging
Madrid: The passing of time, that tombstone upon which beauty and health are balanced, can be slowed down by a close control of the telomeres, DNA structures at the ends of the chromosomes, says an expert.
"The shortening of the telomeres has an influence of around 30 percent on an individual's aging process," said Angel Durantez, who specialises in this new medical technique that treats aging in a holistic and scientific way, re-establishing metabolic and endocrine balance in order to ward off age-related illnesses.
Telomeres are the most sensitive bio indicators of an individual's aging process.
"It's not an aesthetic nor a cosmetic medicine, but it does have a direct effect on beauty. We're talking about a treatment from the inside out," the sports medicine specialist said.
The shortening and reduction of telomeres exposes cells to mutations, and as a result, to the appearance of illnesses.
The measurement of telomeres, without diagnosing any illness, shows "how the cells are doing and their relationship with an individual's biological age".
Stress has a determining effect on health and decisively influences the shortening of the telomeres, as do the lack of exercise and an inadequate lifestyle. "How life treats you depends on how you treat life," Durantez said.
Nonetheless, with adequate diagnosis and treatment, "the telomeres can be lengthened," the specialist said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon in Brussels for EU talks
- Know the final recommendations of 7th Pay Commission in a nutshell
- Malala Yousafzai becomes millionaire with book sales, lectures
- Dennis Quaid's wife files divorce again
- RSS trained inmates of Jawahar Bagh: Ram Vriksh Yadav's 'security officer' to police