Telomeres, the new test for aging
Madrid: The passing of time, that tombstone upon which beauty and health are balanced, can be slowed down by a close control of the telomeres, DNA structures at the ends of the chromosomes, says an expert.
"The shortening of the telomeres has an influence of around 30 percent on an individual's aging process," said Angel Durantez, who specialises in this new medical technique that treats aging in a holistic and scientific way, re-establishing metabolic and endocrine balance in order to ward off age-related illnesses.
Telomeres are the most sensitive bio indicators of an individual's aging process.
"It's not an aesthetic nor a cosmetic medicine, but it does have a direct effect on beauty. We're talking about a treatment from the inside out," the sports medicine specialist said.
The shortening and reduction of telomeres exposes cells to mutations, and as a result, to the appearance of illnesses.
The measurement of telomeres, without diagnosing any illness, shows "how the cells are doing and their relationship with an individual's biological age".
Stress has a determining effect on health and decisively influences the shortening of the telomeres, as do the lack of exercise and an inadequate lifestyle. "How life treats you depends on how you treat life," Durantez said.
Nonetheless, with adequate diagnosis and treatment, "the telomeres can be lengthened," the specialist said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi