Temperature and humidity reduce green tea’s health benefits
Washington: Purdue University researchers have suggested that the beneficial compounds in green tea powders are affected by temperature and humidity.
"People drink green tea for health benefits, so they want the catechins to be present," said Lisa Mauer, a professor of food science.
"The instant powder beverages are becoming more popular for consumers, and it``s important to know how storage can influence nutrition of your products," she said.
Mauer found that increased temperature - and humidity, to a smaller degree - speed catechin degradation.
Previous research showed that the powders were stable below the glass transition temperature, the temperature at which an amorphous solid changes from a rigid, glassy state to a rubbery, viscous state.
In that rubbery state, compounds may start reacting with each other faster due to increased molecular mobility, leading to significant chemical degradation.
But Mauer``s findings showed that green tea powder degrades at lower temperatures, even below the glass transition temperature.
"Tea powders are not infinitely stable below their glass transition temperature. They degrade more slowly below that temperature, but they can still degrade," she said.
"Knowing what``s happening to the ingredients is extremely important for understanding the quality of a food or beverage product," she added.
The finding is reported in the early online version of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report