Thalassemia major boy saved after stem cell transplant
Ahmedabad: A five-year-old thalassemia
major boy got a new lease of life following a successful stem
cell transplant and would never require any blood transfusion
in his life, doctors who treated him said here today.
"Kavya, son of Mahesh Vaghela who works with the
Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC), under went a stem cell
transplant last month. His condition is fine now as the donor
cells have been accepted by the body," Dr Uday Deotare of
Sterling hospital, who led the team of doctors who operated on
Kayva told reporters.
"The stem cell were extracted from bone marrow of
Kavya`s elder brother Mihir (7)," he said.
Giving a brief medical history of Kavya, Deotare said
that Kavya was detected with thalassemia major when he was six
"Since then he has been undergoing blood transfusion
every month till he was four and half year old. His parents
had approached us some time ago for the operation which is
very costly," he said.
"Now that the operation is successful, Kavya would not
need blood transfusion for the rest of his life. However, he
would be on medication for next one year," Deotare said.
Kavya`s father Manish said that he was very happy that
his son was cured and would never need blood transfusion. "I
am thankful to the doctors who save my boy," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot