Thanks to Popeye, kids eat more vegetables
London: Cartoon character Popeye, known for his bulging biceps and vegetarian diet, is responsible for encouraging millions of children to eat spinach, a study has shown.
Scientific research has now recognised the cartoon sailor man`s huge impact on children`s eating habits.
Experts noticed that kids, who regularly watched Popeye gobble spinach before his bouts with his arch-rival Bluto, doubled their vegetable intake, Daily Telegraph reported Monday quoting the findings of the study published in journal Nutrition & Dietetics.
After watching Popeye, the children ate four portions of vegetables a day compared to two.
Popeye was created by Elzie Crisler Segar for the Thimble Theatre comic strip and first appeared on screen in 1933. It is credited with helping save the US spinach industry in the 1930s.
Chutima Sirikulchayanonta, a professor who led the research at Mahidol University in Bangkok, was quoted as saying: "We got the children planting vegetable seeds, taking part in fruit and vegetable tasting parties, cooking vegetable soup, and watching Popeye cartoons."
The experiment that also urged children to plant their own vegetables, led to the volunteers taking more interest in healthy eating.
Sirikulchayanonta stated that Popeye did not influence an increase in the children`s fruit consumption. However, this could be because they already had plenty of fruit in their diet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC