The secret to longer-lasting sex
New Delhi: A new study shows that the real secret to longer lasting sex really lies in your arteries and not just physical desire.
"I think many men believe that desire sends a message to the brain and, hey presto, they get an erection. But what men see as a sign of virility is simply an issue of blood flow," the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Melbourne endocrinologist Dr Carolyn Allan as saying.
"We now know that about 75 per cent of erectile dysfunction has a physical cause and in most cases it`s likely to be artery damage," she added.
"There are other physical causes too like nerve damage after surgery for prostate cancer, spinal cord injury or low testosterone levels - but with the average guy with erection problems who`s also got borderline high blood pressure and high cholesterol, it`s likely to be the arteries."
Here`s how it works: Erection requires blood vessels to expand by getting enough blood flow, but arteries compromised by high blood pressure, smoking or diabetes may have trouble doing this.
A firm erection also depends on the blood staying put long enough to make the erection last.
What`s less well known is that the same lifestyle habits that promote a healthy heart also promote healthy erections even into old age, said Allan.
"There`s always going to be some decline in sexual function with age. The difference is that while a fit older man with healthy arteries might have the occasional mild erection problem, an older man with damaged arteries will have more erectile dysfunction," she said.
"But it`s now not uncommon to see overweight men in their 20s and 30s who already have high cholesterol and metabolic problems. This means more young men who are at risk of heart disease – and potentially at risk of erectile dysfunction too."
Research has found when men lost weight, stopped smoking and lowered their cholesterol levels the problem improved.
"It may be that men will need a combination of lifestyle change and erection drugs like Viagra, Cialis or Levitra which work by improving blood flow to the penis," Allan said.
Erectile dysfunction could also indicate increased risk of heart disease and undiagnosed diabetes.
Although treatments for erectile dysfunction are available through GPs, some men feel awkward about talking to their own doctor and prefer the anonymity of a clinic," she said.
"But they should be concerned about a clinic that doesn`t ask questions about their general health."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015