Three cups of tea daily can protect against heart attacks
London: Drinking three cups of tea daily can protect against heart attacks and stroke.
A new review study shows regular drinking of either black or green tea can reduce the risk of heart problems by 11 percent.
It cuts plaque build-up in arteries - a combination of dangerous fat and cholesterol.
In terms of the delivery of antioxidants, two cups of tea is equivalent to five portions of vegetables or two apples, reports the journal Molecular Aspects of Medicine.
The review by researchers at the University of Western Australia says the benefits of tea are largely due to the flavonoid content, antioxidant ingredients that counteract cardiovascular disease, according to the Daily Mail.
One cup of tea provides 150-200 mg of flavonoids.
The review also found the flavonoid content of black tea is equal to that of green tea. Almost 80 percent of Britons are tea drinkers.
Jonathan Hodgson, review co-author, said: "There is now consistent data indicating that tea and tea flavonoids can enhance nitric oxide status and improve endothelial function, which may be at least partly responsible for benefits on cardiovascular health."
Catherine Hood from the industry-backed Tea Advisory Panel said: "Compared with the US studies, the cardiovascular benefits of tea are particularly strong in European studies. This includes UK studies where most of the tea consumed is black."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference