Two 90-minute group sessions could prevent mental health issues in teens
Washington: Two 90-minute group sessions among teens in high schools significantly reduced anxiety, depression and behaviour problems over a 2-year period, a new study has claimed.
Dr. Patricia Conrod of the University of Montreal and its affiliated Sainte-Justine Hospital Research Centre, said that their study shows that teacher delivered interventions, which target specific risk factors for mental health problems, can be immensely effective at reducing the incidence of depression, anxiety and conduct disorders in the long term.
Nineteen schools in Greater London participated in the study, which included a control group of schools in which students did not receive any interventions.
Students were evaluated for their risk of developing mental health or substance abuse problems using an established personality scale. The scale measures different personality factors that are known to be correlated strongly with behavioural issues: for example, a person with high level of impulsivity is more than five times likely to develop severe conduct problems within the next 18 months.
The researchers looked for impulsivity, hopelessness, anxiety sensitivity and sensation seeking. The schools in the intervention condition were trained to delivery interventions to their high risk students the control schools were not.
The two-session interventions included cognitive-behavioural strategies for managing one's personality profile. The interventions included real life "scenarios" shared by the high risk youths within their focus group. The groups discussed thoughts, emotions and behaviours within the context of their personality type-identifying situational triggers, for example-and with the guidance of the teacher, explored ways to manage their issues.
The effects were clinically significant, with a 21-26 percent reduction in severe depression, anxiety and conduct problem symptoms over the course of the trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people